[TowerTalk] 40M 4-Square Up and Running!

W9SN nw9g@netusa1.net
Wed, 13 May 1998 21:41:55 -0500

Dick Green wrote:

> At long last, after five solid months of 6" or more of snow on the ground
> (November 1 - April 1), my 40M 4-square is finished. Preliminary receiving
> tests indicate that it is playing almost exactly according to theory -- 5-6
> dB forward gain over a monopole and 20+ dB F/B. The ability to switch
> instantly makes for some astonishing discoveries (like a loud European BC
> station to the NE disappearing when the array is switched to the SW,
> reavealing a ham SSB QSO.) Worked 3B7RF on 40M SSB on one call, so it seems
> to be doing a good job over long distances, too. Of course, I'm full of the
> elation of having completed the thing, so my evaluations could be a touch
> biased :-) Time, and a few contests, will tell.
>
> I owe much thanks to the many on Tower Talk who have given me invaluable
> advice and assistance on this project, especially Bill N4ALG, Jim Miller
> K4SQR of Comtek, and Gerald K5GW of Texas Towers, all of whom spent a lot of
> time helping me. If you're thinking 4-square, get in touch with Jim at
> Comtek: K4SQR@juno.com. He's the man with the info and the parts to make it
> all come together. I also got great info from W4AN, K7SO, W1VC, N4KG, W4RNL,
> K8DO, and many, many others. Because of the experience, expertise, and
> generally high caliber of the participants, this reflector is the best
> resource for information on the web that I have ever found. Thanks.
>
> For those who are interested in the details: All in all, it took about one
> year from conception to completion. After a while, I lost track of the hours
> I spent working on this antenna -- research; design; measuring the plot;
> laying out property lines; clearing the forested land; measuring and
> orienting the element positions; shopping for parts; sinking pressure
> treated 4x4's for element supports; measuring, cutting, rolling, soldering,
> unrolling, and pinning 7,000 feet of radial wire; building elements (cutting
> slots, deburring and finishing 28 pieces of telescoping aluminum tubing),
> cutting phasing lines, installing everything, soldering PL-259's, crimping
> spade lugs on control wires, tuning, refinishing the control box, etc. --
> all on a piece of land 350 feet and about 75 vertical feet down the hill
> from the shack (it's easy going down; coming back up to get the tool you
> forgot is the hard part.) Add to that some of the work done last year to
> install three 250' runs of conduit, pulling wires, and installing an
> elaborate ground system (resources shared with other antennas of course),
> and you get a total of well over 200 hours on the 4-square.
>
> Obviously, building an antenna like this is an exercise in patience. It's
> takes a long time before you can run to the shack and try it out. Talk about
> delayed gratification! It's an incredible amount of work, but the results
> satisfying and well worth it. See you on the bands!
>
> 73, Dick, WC1M
>
> --

Congrats Dick on the job well done.  I too installed one last year and
hate to think of the hours I invested.  But it's paid off.  Not one
dxpedition in the past 52 weeks has gotten by me on 40 meters.
Most done within 15 minutes of calling or much less.  Many times with
out the amp on.  It beats out my dipole up at 100 consistantly and the
ability to switch directions instantly is by far the advantage over
maintaining anything at 100 ft in the air.  I still have many more
radials to lay out but just mine built with copper pipe (I'm a plumber
with a big account at plumbing stores) and my pea brain have managed
to startle myself with great results.  Bravo! and good luck...see ya
in the pile ups.....

                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
                          All Ten Tec Equiptment