[TowerTalk] Need Help! DU Tower

Edward Soriano, MD, DU1OZ, KB3CNO du1oz@writeme.com
Mon, 18 May 1998 18:15:01 +0800

Dear Fellow Hams,

I am very new to this reflector. I had been looking for this for quite
some time now, thanks to some fellows in the ICOM and Yaesu list who
help so I can forward my questions to the proper people. Hope you can
give some comments and suggestions.

I am postponing the erection of my tower which is scheduled for
tomorrow. Would like to hear from you first.

OK here is the set up. Hy-gain TH3Mk4 Tribander beam for the antenna
with Tailtwister rotator, a 27 feet fabricated crank-up Trilon on top of
a 13 feet 20 x 20 inch concrete post. The concrete post is 6 feet below
the ground with a 1x1 meter footing. Anchor bolts were isolated from the
post metal frames.

Questions:

1. What is the best way to ground towers on top of such structures as
builidings or in my case a concrete post?

2. I am having second thoughts of installing a lightning rod. I might
invite the lightning to my area. I do have a 5 feet stainless steel rod.
Will this do good as a lightning rod?

3. An old ARRL Antenna book said something like a no.8 wire will do as a
ground wire. Which I bought. A week ago I saw a catalog from Glen Martin
and they sell ground wires with a no.4 gauge. Will no.8 gauge do?

If cannot be use for grounding towers and antennas can I use the no.8
wire for grounding equipments in the radio room?

4. My antenna system supports two lightning arresters in the coaxial
line. One near the tower base and another one incorporated in the
Alpha-Delta coaxial switch. Is there a need to use separate grounding
rods for the tower, antenna lines and equipments?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you guys soon. I want to put that beam up
asap.

73s de Ed

Edward Soriano, MD, DU1OZ, KB3CNO
The Philippines