[TowerTalk] Launching dipoles

Tom Rauch w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Tue, 19 May 1998 09:37:46 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 19 May 1998 03:07:51 -0700
> From:          K4SB <k4sb@mindspring.com>
> Subject:       Re: [TowerTalk] Launching dipoles
> To:            David Jones <kk7gw@hotmail.com>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>

> A bow and arrow combo has worked well for me for years. Buy a small
> fishing reel and mount it just off center of the bow. TAPE the line to
> the arrow just forward of the feathers....Shooter up to go over the top
> of the tree and hopefully, down the other side of the trunk.

I use the same basic technique, with one major change.

I use hollow aluminum arrows, and fill the outer half (near the
point) with solder or lead.

I do this by cutting the tip off, and wadding some paper about a foot
or so down, and melting solder with a soldering pencil and letting it
drip down in the arrow.

Then the arrow goes farther and straighter, and drops through the
trees better. I use a no tip at all.

It's easy to put the arrow right where you want it (even 100 feet
high) , and with monofilament line it falls right back through the
trees. I do NOT use a fishing reel, I just use a flat one foot square
board and bolt the reel the line comes on to the board with a wing
nut and bolt. The line will pay off the reel just perfect, if you
line it up so the axis of the reel points in the direction of the
shot.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com