[TowerTalk] Desolving Potting Compound

Kurt Andress NI6W@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Tue, 19 May 1998 18:04:35 -0700

Bill,
There are some industrial chemicals to do this. I can't remember the
product names or manufacturers. Try to find an industrial vendor of epoxy
resins. They usually carry this stuff or can point you in the right
direction. Make sure you get and use all of the protective gear. This stuff
is really nasty! Also make sure the stuff doesn't react with aluminum, some
do!
Another alternative, is to carefully drill out the majority of the
material. Then heat to about 200 Deg  and scrape the rest out. You'll get
apretty good burn at 150 Deg so wear thick gloves. Don't get the aluminum
over 350 Deg F as that will anneal it.
Good luck, Kurt

YagiStress - The Ultimate Mechanical Design Software for Yagi's
Visit - http://freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress