[TowerTalk] Guy Wires

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 22 May 1998 01:12:02 EDT

In a message dated 98-05-22 00:31:29 EDT, W9RPM@centuryinter.net writes:

> Is there any set standard as to how taught the guywires should be on a
>  tower?i have heard comments on both (just so the sag is out and drum
>  tight).

     I'll bet that 98% of hams don't know what their guy wire tension is.

     Tower guy wire tension is typically 10% of the breaking strength. For
3/16" EHS with 3990 pounds BS it would be 400# tension. For 1/4" EHS, it'd be
670# of its 6700 pound breaking strength. This is at 60 degrees F as the
tension does vary with temperature.

     The trick, though, is how to measure it. Champion Radio Products is the
sole amateur radio distributor of the LOOS Guy Wire Tensioner. It'll measure
3/16 and 1/4 inch easily and accurately. And it's only $39.00 plus s/h. There
is no cheaper and easier way to do it accurately. 888-833-3104 for more
information.

Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC

CHAMPION RADIO PRODUCTS