[TowerTalk] re:LEAD

Peter Forbes prforbes@tbsa.com.au
Fri, 22 May 1998 17:49:35 +1000

In answer to the question about bullets:

The answers so far have neglected the fact that a rifle bullet gets its
initial high velocity and distance by the rifling on the barrel, which gives
it a spin along a horizontal (longitudinal) axis, much like throwing a football.

As a rifle bullet travels a long distance this spin is diminished until
random perturbations in the air will cause the bullet to begin to tumble,
hence losing much of its velocity.

In the case of a 38 or similar bullet, this effect occurs much sooner, as
the horizontal (longitudinal) axis spin is almost non-existent.

Having said that, during World War 1 there were recorded cases of a 303
rifle bullet killing someone at a distance of 5 miles - from my reading of
old letters, this was usually where the bullet penetrated through eyes, ears
or some other weak part of the torso, sufficiently wide enough to take a
tumbling bullet.

Perhaps this is why we all wear hard hats on building sites - to protect us
from stray falling bullets!!!!

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI