[TowerTalk] Lightening Discharge rods?

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Fri, 22 May 1998 12:26:43 -0700 (PDT)

>      What is the most appropriate way to safeguard your antennas on a tower
>      from lightening? I have heard that a lightening rod high above the top
>      antenna works! I have also heard that the porcupines work also! Does
>      anyone really know which is the best way to go?? I will have about 10
>      ground rods spaced around tower about 16 ft apart.
>
>      73's and Thanks for the help
>
>      Bill Maddock N4ZI  Atoka, Tn

I've never noticed my antennas lightening, but I suppose tying porcupines
to them will help.  Once the porcupines dry out, though, you would have to
replace them with new, damp porcupines.  Maybe something like lead
weights, would help?  Is a lightening rod something like a tank of helium,
but in reverse?

Sorry...spelling meanie...guilty guilty guilty...

Trying to be constructive and helpful, now, I don't think there's any way
to really *prevent* lightning from striking, particularly in a
thunderstorm-laden place like TN.  The porcupines or static brushes often
help with corona discharge and static buildup, but may actually accentuate
the ionization around the tower, making it more likely to initiate a
discharge.

Your best bet is to install protective gear like the Polyphaser stuff at
the base of the tower with everything bonded together.  Also, disconnect
the cables (including rotor cables) when in stormy conditions.

There was a good article in NCJ some time ago (can't find exact issue)
that showed a very nice protection installation in an aluminum pickup
truck tool holder, mounted on a small concrete pad comfortably away from
the shack.

Good luck!

73, Ward N0AX