[TowerTalk] What is 4,000 reflector messages in terms of drive space?

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj@ij.net
Tue, 26 May 1998 23:09:56 -0400

I just dumped the "deleted items" in my Explorer Internet Mail file....

I bought this computer on the Friday of the ARRL DX CW, roughly three
months ago...installed IE on it and went on about my merry way reading the
e-mail and trashing the vast majority of it (surprise?) - however I have
about two dozen sets of folders for the various contests/antenna
types/etc......where I have a lot of saved messages too.....

Question - when I go to move one of these messages into a file, anymore I
am yearning to create a few more file folders, but whenever I do the result
is that I cannot see those with high end alpha titles....in other
words.....I cannot see the WPX sub-folder since it lies below the bottom of
my view!!  Dies anyone have a fix for this (other than eliminating
folders)?

Oh yes.......there were 4K messages in the Deleted Items area, I did not
have the empty the deleted files switch on.......and for what it is worth,
Win95 tells me that I have gained 23MB since dumping the messages.....so, a
thousand typical reflector messages is about 5.75mb of hard drive
space......in a year that would be roughly 100mb of "trashed" mail.....so,
I feel relieved that the theory my father and I have about how much crud
there is on these things is true......about 100MB a year true!

Just a thought.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm