[TowerTalk] CW debate: Another time, Another place

Jack Goforth jgoforth@esper.com
Wed, 27 May 1998 11:38:12 -0300

Robert V. Donohue wrote:

>At least in Britain, they have some common sense, and want to lay to
>rest a system originally used to send messages over telegraph lines in
>1843-44.

Robert, This is not the reflector to discuss the CW debate.

However, since you brought it up, for those wishing to be more
informed and examine the "common sense" history of this subject,
perhaps a review of the original international wireless treaty
debates would be helpful. To review the purpose and requirements
of the original licensing of amateur radio by the US Government
see:    <http://www.ipass.net/~whitetho/1914reg.htm>

Another source providing insite into British "common sense" and
thoughts on amateur radio is covered in detail in the book
"200 Meters and Down" by Clinton DeSoto.

I suggest... Had the US Government in 1910-12 totally followed the
positions of the British and other European powers such as Germany
and France concerning wireless law, there would have been no "amateur"
radio in this country and possibly the whole world.

Fortunately individual freedom prevailed, and the US became the world
leader in the development of the art and science of electronic
communication because of it...

Jack Goforth  K4IBP  .-.-.