[TowerTalk] Antenna Test Methodology

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Wed, 27 May 1998 13:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys -

As the test "designer", all I can say is to please wait until we publish
the actual document and you can talk about the protocol until the cows
come home.  Actually, that's what I *hope* will happen and one of the
major points of doing this in the first place.  The test protocol is
intended to be released into the amateur public domain for use by other
groups both to evaluate new antennas and to repeat our tests to see how
well they track.

The test site and so forth was selected because it was (a) handy and (b)
free and (c) reasonable.  This combination meant that the test could
actually be performed by amateurs.  Yes, there are compromises associated
with this specific protocol.  We try to identify them in the report.
There will be other compromises identified by gurus like W8JI, W4RNL, and
so on.  I'm open for suggestions!

There is a good deal of discussion in the report as to why this test can
be considered representative of *relative* performance.  No absolute
measurements are made, nor is the test intended to be any kind of
verification of manufacturer's claimed specs.

Sorry, not having a helicopter available made the full three-dimensional
pattern test somewhat problematic. :-)

The test will be released in June and distributed by Bob Cox, K3EST, at a
very reasonable fee - it's a big package.  Send him a note to get on the
mailing list.  Get it, read it, and think about it - then let us know what
your conclusions are.  Debate is welcome, if informed.

73, Ward N0AX