[TowerTalk] Guy wire anchor dead men pull out?

Dale L. Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Wed, 27 May 1998 17:31:35 -0500

>     Mr Harpole:
>
>     You should be just fine if installed per the Rohn "Bible."
Deadman
>     anchors derive their capacity from the unit weight of the
soil above
>     them time the area of the anchor surface. I'm not counting
the passive
>     soil pressure in this description. If you are down 3 feet
and have 4
>     square feet of surface and your soil weighs about 110
pounds per cubic
>     foot(approximate value of sand)  then you have about 4 x 3
x 110 =
>     1320 pounds capacity. Remember this is a hypothetical
example. I have
>     not included the soil friction or passive pressure of the
soil in this
>     one. Rohn tables are based on worst case conditions and you
should be
>     ok if you follow.
>
>     Hank Lonberg P.E. / KR7X

Didn't Alfred Hitchcock have an episode about the power of sand?
The husband and wife were at the beach and the wife 'buried' her
husband in the sand with only his head sticking out.  He was so
well in place that he could not move to even squirm his way out.
Then the tide came in.

73,
dale, kg5u