[TowerTalk] Re: your mail

Steve Hurst shurst@magiclink.com
Thu, 28 May 1998 16:48:37 -0600

Tom and all,

	Howdy , I'm new to "TowerTalk" . I just subscribed today and have already
seen that this list is going to be very informative !! My wife and I
recently purchased a new home on ten acres of semi flat land. We have
approx. 50 trees , but they are all new and small. So this list will  be
giving me lots of ideas as to putting up towers and supports I am sure. I
have 80 feet of Rohn 25G that will soon be going up . My question is
concerning running the rotor cables through drilled holes in a bulkhead.
Does'nt this expose you to allowing lightning to enter your shack ?
Would'nt a strike just come down the rotor cable and proceed into the rotor
control box and then into the AC line ? Unless of course you have some way
of disconnecting the rotor cable before it comes into the house/shack.
	We have some pretty heavy T-storms in this area and I am going to be very
concerned about lightning when I get my tower and antennas up in the air !
I will be disconnecting EVERYTHING on the OUTSIDE of the house just to be
"safe"  ! Besides ....  it will make the "X"YL feel much safer ( and that's
the MOST important thing !!!! ) !!!!!!!  Thanks guys and gals for
reading......  happy towering and be safe up there !!!!!!

73,
Steve Hurst
KA7NOC  ( southern Idaho )
http://www.magiclink.com/web/shurst