[TowerTalk] Re: Mosley tri-banders

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Sat, 30 May 1998 11:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

I think the point K7LXC and others are trying to point out about the Mosley
tri-banders is that often putting a large group of elements on a boom does
not improve performance.  W9LT ran a series of empirical tests with various
elements in two issues of CQ back in 1976.  Read those two articles to see
some of the pitfalls if the antenna is not modeled.

I had a TA-36 with 40 meter element that worked well on 10 and did Ok on 40
but was not close to a TH6 on 20 or 15.  W4GIW lived close to me and did OK
with a PRO 67 but on 10 and 15 the KT34XA was always through the pile first.

I finally saw one of the big Mosley tri-banders.  This one had a 30'+ boom
and 3 el on 40 and about 11 or 12 elements.  It is mounted at Adcock Peanuts
in Tifton , Georgia about 500' from I-75.  Looks impressive but the sag in
the 40 elements (with two traps) is excessive.

The TA34 is an off shoot of the TA33 designed by Carl Mosley....the TA33 is
still a good antenna for size and boom and the 34 is a near offshoot.  All
depends on your location.........

Just my .02 cents worth.

Dave K4JRB