[TowerTalk] Switching Beverages

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 18:46:36 -0500

Barry,

Your post implies that the two Beverages will terminate nearby each
other if you can switch the hiZ side of them.  That also implies that a
relay-box may be required.  Both of these situations ought to be
avoided.

However, if you can't avoid the antennas terminating closeby, that'll
mean you'll have two Beverages pointing in two different directions,
which is probably what you want. But you ought to avoid a relay-box
outside switching the hiZ side.

Relay boxes are another point of failure and ZJ boxes are relatively
cheap, especially without the pre-amps which you will probably not need.

And RG-58 coax is also relatively cheap.

Both of these factors lead me to recommend separate 9:1 transformers and
separate feedlines to the shack where you can use a simple single-pole/n
throw (n=2 in this case) manual switch.

I use a DIAWA single-pole/four throw switch to change from each of four
EWE antennas/arrays.  Each is fed with its own RG-58 and has its own ZJ
Beverage Box.

Bill, N3RR