[TowerTalk] CREATE ROTOR PROBLEM

Morrison Hoyle vk3bcy@dcsi.net.au
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:43:49 +1000

> Went up today and lined things up to North. Came down and still
> noticed that the rotor seemed to be going really fast. Turns out the
> indicator is not rotating linearly. With everything supposedly
> NORTH, turning the antennas through West to South results in 270
> degrees of rotation! And turning South through East I only really
> get 90 degrees of rotation.
>
> Anyone else with a Create ever seen this? Fix? Ideas?
Been there, done that.  The problem is the small plastic spur gear
mounted on the underside of the rotor top cover.  It breaks easily
and causes the plastic gear mounted on the potentiometer spindle to
turn erratically.  The dealer in Australia mailed replacements to me
free of charge but getting them correctly engaged on re-assembly
wasn't easy.

Why do manufacturers spoil a good product by putting flimsy tiny
plastic parts in an otherwise rugged piece of equipment.

While anyone is inside their Create rotator, check the nuts and bolts
holding the motor to the small right-angled bracket and likewise
those from the bracket to the housing.  If they work loose (mine
did), the rotator won't work and the final worm drive will lock the
antenna in the last position.

73 - Morrison VK3BCY

      .
  ,--_|\    Morrison Hoyle    - vk3bcy@dcsi.net.au
 /  Oz  \                     - Phone +61 (0)3 56891205
 \_,--\_/                     - PO Box 248, FOSTER, Vic 3960 Australia