[TowerTalk] Scotchkote and Liquid Tape

John kemkerj@xyzzy.net
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 00:01:34 +0000

This last Saturday and Sunday, <a href="http://www.gars.org>GARS</a> just put
up a six-meter antenna and replaced the UHF link antenna for the 2-meter
repeater.  We used 3M Cold-Shrink Wrap tubing for the bottom layer, then a
layer of Scotchkote, making sure to overlap onto the cable jacket by at least
1 inch, then a layer of 33+, overlapping by half-width and no
"stretch-until-it-tears."  We feel that this will provide the highest level
of protection on the connections with the easiest removal, if need be.

CoaxSeal, Liquid Electrical Tape and Plasti-Dip will all do a good job
protecting against moisture.  They are, however, very nasty if you ever have
to remove them.  With Kurt's method and ours, all you have to do to remove is
make one quick cut down to the connector/jacket and peel like a banana.  No
goop gets into the connector, gumming up the threads and making it hard to
unscrew or use again.

The Cold-Shrink-Wrap tubing is neat stuff.  It's a rubber-like tube that's
held in tension by stiff spiral plastic inside the tube.  The spiral extends
down through the tube.  In order to activate it, you put it over the joint to
be sealed and pull the plastic past itself out one end.  The other end, not
being held up by the plastic any longer, collapses onto the joint, making a
nice conformal wrap.

--John K.
  KF4MZD