[TowerTalk] Scotchkote and Liquid Tape

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:45:55 EST

In a message dated 98-11-04 03:14:15 EST, ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us writes:

> The way water gets into the connection is along the primary interface (first
>  layer of tape against the cable jacket, connectors, and tape). We can put
>  hundreds of layers of tape and some kind of GOO on a connection, but the
> only one
>  that really counts is the first layer!

      A comment. For any taped connection that is more than horizontal where
water will be running down it, my recommendation is to make sure that the
FINAL wrap of tape be applied upwards. That way, the tape overlaps like the
shingles on your roof and the water will keep running harmlessly down the
cable. Otherwise, the laps can actually funnel water into the joint and
compromise the primary interface mentioned above.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC