[TowerTalk] Grounding

Henry Knoll Henry Knoll <knoll003@tc.umn.edu>
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:19:36

Hi Jim.

You wrote:

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:32:19 -0500
From: jccrtv@jccrtv.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding

<snip>

>His recommendation was that we sink an additional two 8 foot rods where
>the power enters the house. And from being on this group, I know
>EXACTLY how the electrician should make and weather-proof the proper
>connection. Oy, it's always something.

>Jim Mulvey - KS1A

If you sink additional ground rods outside where the power enters the
house, what will you attach the ground rods to?  Will you run a ground
wire into the house and to the power panel?  I would think that might
be dangerous if lightning strikes because you have the ground wire
going through the house wall.  Will you connect the rods to the mast?
Makes sense to me, but again the mast is going through the house wall.

I have been wrestling with this problem for some time now, because I
don't think I now have adequate grounding for my power box.  I did years
ago when the house was built because it passed inspection.  My ground
rod is inside the house and goes through the cement floor.

Thanks and 73.

Henry  WA0GOZ