[TowerTalk] Power x RG58

PT2HO - Carlos pt2ho@contesting.com
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 02:33:03 -0200

Ron,

The  ARRL Antenna Book - page 24-18 (edition from 1995) says:

"In general, full legal amateur power can be safely applied to inexpensive
RG-58 coax in the bands below 10MHZ. Cables of RG8 family can withstand
full amateur power through the VHF spectrum, but connectors must be
carefully chosen in these applications...."

It looks that the power capabilities varies a  lot when the frequency
changes......As I am changing the cables I had the curiosity to check in
the Antenna Book the power capabilities of each cable family....

I will try to check another source like ON4UN's book...The RG58 looks so
weak to handle 1500w, doesn't it??

73,

Carlos
PT2HO (also PY1CAS)