[TowerTalk] Cushcraft baluns / lousy customer service

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 14:39:45 -0500

> Hello Ed,
> Several years ago, on the basis of your article, I threw away all my
> BN-86s which were constantly giving trouble and retired the W2DU baluns
> that had generally worked OK, but were getting a little old.  The TVI
> and telephone interference that had led me to use baluns in the first
> place were just as "gone" with the coax chokes as they were with the
> troublesome commercial jobs.  That was all the proof that I needed.

Right on. I use coax choke baluns for everything, and don't worry at all
about cold flow or anything else. I use RG-6 CATV cable,  RG-8X, or PTFE
coax (with a UV resistant jacket) where weight is a problem, and other
lines for extreme power.

Like you and Roy Lewallen, I have measured the baluns and tested them for
performance AND life. I've been using them for 25 years or longer and have
NEVER had a balun failure. Just don't exceed the bending radius rating of
the coax, or overheat it, and it will last the life of any coax in the same
environment.

> However, I'm not sure that your coax chokes would effectively replace
> balums or baloons. :-)

I just knew that was remark was coming!! ;-)

Tom