[TowerTalk] Colatchco Verticals, Ground Radials & Phasing

DavisRFinc@aol.com DavisRFinc@aol.com
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:17:33 EST

In a message dated 11/7/98 5:41:57 PM EST, n8umjohn@usit.net writes:

<< I am also on a steep ridge, approximately 60 feet down from the top.  Lots
 of 60-90 foot oaks and poplars.  I have a hytower and have used two
 different W1CF/Colatchco verticals with great success in an 80 meter 4
 square and as a single 160 meter vertical.   The secret is 37,000 feet of
 radials on the ground in the woods... >>
____________________
The Colatchco verticals and phased arrays were extremely well built and field
tested to the hilt.  I was part of Colatchco, with W1FC and W1CF (silent key).
I was by no means a contributor on the technical side, I was the business
logistics guy in this part-time ham business.  However, I did spend  hours in
the field with W1FC checking for/perfecting equal currents at all four
cornners, etc.  One thing that we felt strongly about  was on the ground
radials.   Upwards to 120 maximimum with noticeable performance enhancements
as you doubled the number of radials (starting say with 15, 1/4 waelength long
per vertical).
You can use  various junk wire for radials.  If you needto by some radial
wire, I still sell the same type that we shipped with Colatchco units (#16
bare, 1 m ft reels) which I also use on my own 80 m. Colatchco 4 sq.  I can't
imagine (myself) wanting any other design than a phased array on 40, 80 or
160.  If you want to get the most mileage/performance/satisfaction per buck on
these bands, contact Jim Miller, K4SQR (get it?) at Comtek Systems,
comtek4@juno.com.  He is the current "state of the art" in phased systems and
a gentleman to work with.   Regards, Steve Davis,  K1PEK,   DAVIS RF Co.
DAVIS RF Co., Commercial wire/cable, RF connectors, custom cable design.
Discounts to hams..........BURY-FLEX ™ low loss HF-microwave HDPE coax;
....FLEX-WEAVE™ aerial wire. Registered trademarks of Davis Associates, Inc. .
.LMR ™, Heliax™, PolyPhaser Tm, etc.  Visit our web site at  www.davisRF.com.
1-800-328-4773   (1-800-DAVIS RF)