[TowerTalk] Power x RG58

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:15:37 EST

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:38:51 -0500 "DavidC" <davidc@bit-net.com> writes:

>> Transmit loss concerns yes, receive loss concerns, no problem on HF.
>> As long as you can hear atmospheric noise in the receiver, gain loss
>> ahead of the receiver is NOT a problem.
>>
>> My Beverages are 10 dB below my transmit antennas.  If the following
>> argument were true, I should take them down because of the receive
>loss.
>>
>> Not anytime soon!
>>
>> de  Tom  N4KG  (Receiver design engineer in my other life)
>
>Tom:
>
>   I would sure love to understand this concept better, as I am sure
>many
>others here would.
>
>   Both on TX and RX we are dealing with electrical energy which may
>be
>sustained or reduced as it travels from its source (the TX power
>output
>stage, or on RX the connection at the antenna).  Is transmission line
>loss
>between the antenna and the receiver literally not important or
>relatively
>unimportant when compared to VHF and UHF?

K1VR:  N4KG is talking about Beverage antennas, on the bands where they
are useful -- 160 and 80. Signal strength is not the gating factor.  The
problem to attack is signal to noise ratio, so attenuation through line
loss, already low at 1.8 and 3.5 MHz is not important. Assuming that the
line is intact, signal ingress is also so low as to be not measurable at
those frequencies. Save your money for other applications and use RG-58
or RG-59 to feed your Beverages.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]