[TowerTalk] recurring threads

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:07:30 -0800

Hi all,

Pretty fun stuff eh?
I can't remember seeing so much fun being had by so many in such a short time,
before on this reflector..

I'm really happy. I learned someting today!
I learned what all those references to True North were about. I wasn't around
since the beginning of time (reflector time), I could tell it meant something, but
had no clue. Now I get it!
I'm also very appreciative of the mix of approaches, that I hadn't spent time
finding on my own.
Now, I have many more options to chose from the next time I want to get the job
done. Maybe, I'll still use my old favorite approach, but I'll appreciate it even
more.

Lots of good ideas and/or suggestions about making past commentary more
accessible.
It can be very easy for one to suffer information overload on this frequency, and
miss valuable data on a subject, because one is trying to deal with another. Such
is life!

I am on the side of the fence that supports recurring threads.
For new subscribers, it would be excellent for many of us to have summaries
available to shoot off to the inquiring party. I'm going to do it just to save
myself some time.
That's just the first part, helping someone get going towards his enhanced
understanding of any subject.
The second reason why I support recurring threads is that it stimulates thinking
on a subject at a different place in time. Most of us learn more about things as
time goes on. A recurring thread can shake some more fruit out of the tree, or
make us say it differently, allowing a better understanding.

Shame on us, if we think we have it all figured out, or figured out how say it
very clearly for all to understand!
What we really have today, is all we have figured out today!
If we all talk about it a year from now we should have a different discussion. If
not, we're not getting anywhere.

Yeah, there is some pretty solid basic stuff, like E=IR, that we shouldn't spend
more time trying to make better. There is still a ton of stuff that is just as
clear as mud!

The guy that has it all figured out should just let us know, so we can all send
him private e-mail and not risk arbitrary embarrasment on the reflector.

I haven't seen a dumb question yet. Some may be uninformed or ill-informed but not
dumb!
If someone truely doesn't know the answer, they should be able to ask it here. I
was under the impression that was one of the reasons for this meduim.

Now, answers are another subject!

If we don't seek greater knowledge, we'll certainly never have it!
The first step towards getting it is "ASKING" someone a question. Sometimes we
don't get an answer, sometimes we get back what we already know, and sometimes we
strike it rich by getting a piece of new information. The only sure thing is that
not asking the question will ensure getting nothing!

Here's to the next great recurring thread that teaches us some more!

73, Kurt

P.S. A lot of valuable stuff becomes very hard to find in the archives, because
many just use the "Reply to sender" and CC functions, without changing the subject
heading when they start talking about a new related subject.
I shudder to think about looking for something I saw pass by the list. I know that
>50% of the time, it will not appear under a descriptive subject heading.
I think I'll just ask for it again on the reflector and take all the flack about
it being old stuff. That's easier than trying to find it after it's fourth
incarnation under the totally unrelated original subject heading.

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/