[TowerTalk] Skewed Path to BQ9P

T A RUSSELL n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:42:11 -0600

SKEW   PATH   to  SE  Asia  at 210 +/- degrees is quite common
on 40M, especially before sunrise or during low sunspot levels.
Apparently the MUF is below 7 MHz under those conditions.
NM7M  will tell you there is no such thing as widely skewed paths,
but he has NO  personal experience on the low bands.  EVERY
40M  DXer east of the Rockies with any kind of directional antenna
has experienced the widely skewed path to SE Asia in the mornings
and the slightly  skewed LP opening to Eastern Asia before sunset.

At one time, 40M was my favorite band.  You can experience almost
every type of propagation on 40 that you see on 20 except the very
long East / West LP into Africa or the Pacific.  From Alabama, the
only African LP I have heard or worked is in the Indian Ocean and
one continental African in Egypt.   The farthest East I have worked
before sunset is VK3 in Eastern Australia.

de  Tom  N4KG    (need only A5,  BS7,  BV9, and P5 on 40M)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]