[TowerTalk] Connectors for 75 ohm hardline

Mike Lamb n7ml@imt.net
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:18:59 +0000

--------------94FE8C1F9629E90EFF93AA64

Hello Pat:

I have been using this exact method for about 25 years now.  I have learned a
few things in the process:

   * DO NOT use penetrox because with time it will migrate and cause a blow
     out (always in the middle of a European run in a contest)
   * DO use silicone grease between the aluminum shield and the barrel
     connector to keep corrosion down.
   * Seal it as well as you can
   * do NOT use Radio Shack barrel connectors as they will invariably break
     down during the big JA runs in a contest

Anymore, I try to use hard splices as much as possible for the longest term
solution.  I use 1/8 inch hobby store brass tubing that I slit longitudinally
with a dremel tool to slip over the center conductors that are butted
together and soldered.  Then I lay the copper shield of RG-11 over the
aluminum shield and smear it up with plenty of silicone grease and seal it
well.

73/Mike, N7ML

Pat Barthelow wrote:

> HI Bill, et al...
>
> For 75 ohm CATV hardline, just hacksaw some (4ea) slots co-linearly with
> a cleanly cut end, on the aluminum jacket..   Make the slots on opposite
> sides of the center conductor, and about 2" long.  Dig out the foamed
> dielectric with a pair
> of needle nosed pliers, and an exacto knife.  Dig out to a depth of about
> 2".  Clean off the residual foam insulation from the copper center
> conductor, which is usually aluminum cored; same for the inside of the
> aluminum jacket.. Try not to gouge the copper center coating too much.
> Gently push on a standard  UHF barrel fitting to the close fitting center
> conductor, and use a hose clamp to clamp the shield to the barrel.
> Weatherproof the fitting as necessary.  If your sources of CATV cable
> allow choices, be sure and get NON flooded type of cable.  Otherwise, the
> flooding goo is difficult to remove from the inside of the shield, and
> center conductor....Though I am told that acetone can remove flooding
> goo....
>
> We are using many such connectors at N6IJ....work great!
>
> 73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;
>
> aa6eg@hh.tmx.com
> 599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
> "The Contest Station from the Government"
>
> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Bill Maddock wrote:
>

> > To towertalkrs:
> >
> > I need information regarding making connectors for 3/4" and 1/2"
> > hardline to a LMR400/9913 connection. Any ideas will be greatly
> > appreciated!
> >
> > 73 de Bill N4ZI Atoka, TN
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
> > Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm
> >

> --

--------------94FE8C1F9629E90EFF93AA64

<HTML>
Hello Pat:
<P>I have been using this exact method for about 25 years now.&nbsp; I
have learned a few things in the process:
<UL>
<LI>
DO NOT use penetrox because with time it will migrate and cause a blow
out (always in the middle of a European run in a contest)</LI>

<LI>
DO use silicone grease between the aluminum shield and the barrel connector
to keep corrosion down.</LI>

<LI>
Seal it as well as you can</LI>

<LI>
do NOT use Radio Shack barrel connectors as they will invariably break
down during the big JA runs in a contest</LI>
</UL>
Anymore, I try to use hard splices as much as possible for the longest
term solution.&nbsp; I use 1/8 inch hobby store brass tubing that I slit
longitudinally with a dremel tool to slip over the center conductors that
are butted together and soldered.&nbsp; Then I lay the copper shield of
RG-11 over the aluminum shield and smear it up with plenty of silicone
grease and seal it well.
<P>73/Mike, N7ML
<P>Pat Barthelow wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>HI Bill, et al...
<P>For 75 ohm CATV hardline, just hacksaw some (4ea) slots co-linearly
with
<BR>a cleanly cut end, on the aluminum jacket..&nbsp;&nbsp; Make the slots
on opposite
<BR>sides of the center conductor, and about 2" long.&nbsp; Dig out the
foamed
<BR>dielectric with a pair
<BR>of needle nosed pliers, and an exacto knife.&nbsp; Dig out to a depth
of about
<BR>2".&nbsp; Clean off the residual foam insulation from the copper center
<BR>conductor, which is usually aluminum cored; same for the inside of
the
<BR>aluminum jacket.. Try not to gouge the copper center coating too much.
<BR>Gently push on a standard&nbsp; UHF barrel fitting to the close fitting
center
<BR>conductor, and use a hose clamp to clamp the shield to the barrel.
<BR>Weatherproof the fitting as necessary.&nbsp; If your sources of CATV
cable
<BR>allow choices, be sure and get NON flooded type of cable.&nbsp; Otherwise,
the
<BR>flooding goo is difficult to remove from the inside of the shield,
and
<BR>center conductor....Though I am told that acetone can remove flooding
<BR>goo....
<P>We are using many such connectors at N6IJ....work great!
<P>73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;
<P>aa6eg@hh.tmx.com
<BR>599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
<BR>"The Contest Station from the Government"