[TowerTalk] Anti-climb shielding

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:22:42 +0000

On 16 Nov 98, Brian Smithson <brian_smithson@vds.com> wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> What is the concensus on putting some sort of shield on towers
> to keep people from climbing? What are you using, how does it
> attach, and how do you remove it when YOU want to climb? The
> XYL is getting antsy about keeping kids off it, even though there
> are few kids in the neighborhood and they have to brave the horse
> on the way to the tower!
>
> Thanks es 73!
>
> Brian n8wrl

Hi Brian - I had a local metal shop cut 3 pieces of galvanzied sheet
metal (14 ga, I think) 18 inches by 5 ft. I then attached 2 pieces of
aluminum "angle iron" back to back, to permit the metal sheet to hang
from the tower - one about 6 inches from the top, other 6 inches from
the bottom. This for a Rohn 45 - your dimensionas may vary. I believe
the ARRL Handbook or Antenna Book shows the details.
This will prevent a youngish kid from climbing, but soemone who is dead
set on climbing is gonna do it no matter what. After you make your
anti-climb sections, take a few photos of it. File them away so you'll
have them if anything ever happens, and you need to show the court how
you prevented any reasonable individual from harming themself.
73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club