[TowerTalk] Used TRI-EX Tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:49:17 EST

In a message dated 98-11-17 07:04:25 EST, jonk@jskent.com writes:

> 	I have the opportunity to pick up a TRI-EX 40' tower that is about
>  16 years old. It has no name plate, so I can't tell which model it is.
>  It is a two-section hand crank-up, the bottom section is about 6-9"
>  on a side and it has a base plate about 2'x2'.

>  2) Is it possible to add a section and make it a 60' tower?

     Not likely. DO NOT try this at home. Crank-up towers are complex
mechanical devices. Do not try any 'hip-pocket engineering' with these
potentially dangerous structures.

>  3) The cable is brown with rust:Is it advisable to replace it?

      Probably mandatory. Pulleys too.

>  5) The structure looks good, but covered with the dull aluminum oxide.
>  	I'm inclined not strip or paint it, but is that wise given my QTH near
>  	the ocean?

     This is a steel tower. How could it be covered with aluminum oxide? You
must be referring to an oxide over the galvanizing.

      All things considered, I would be pretty leary of this tower. It sounds
like its condition is marginal at best and it'll take a lot of time and work
to get it into reasonable shape. I'd opt for a new one that's a known quantity
- you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC