[TowerTalk] Spark gap for insulators

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:50:38 EST

In a message dated 98-11-19 07:09:04 EST, virago@ptd.net writes:

> I wanted to break the guys up using an egg insulator and I understand
>  that there is some kind of arc gap arrestor that I could put across the
>  insulator. Any ideas where I can get this ?

       Not that I know of. Why not just leave the insulators out ? I've never
seen one for guy insulators.

       Remember that the strike is looking for the least resistance to ground
so it's hard to say whether the strike would head down the guys or the tower
itself. Don't forget that you would need the same ground rod scenario off each
guy wire set as well (multiple guy rods spaced appropriately with the wire
well-bonded, etc.).

Cheers,   Steve     K7LXC