[TowerTalk] XM240 and tribander question

Jim amcastmis@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:18:50 -0800

Hi Bud,

I have an X-9.  Overall, I'm fairly happy with it although it does have a high
SWR on 20.  It hears extremely well.  Seems to get ok but not quite as well as
I would have expected.  Others I've talked have similar problems.  If I had it
to do again, I'd take a good look at the new Force 12 C-31XR.  It's specs look
pretty impressive and it's in the same size class as the X-9.  Also, there's
someone who's been posting in here that has just put one up.  I'm sure you
could get some feedback from him.  As far as backing from the mfg.,  Force 12
has a reputation of slow customer support (but it looks like they're working on
improving it) and  Cushcraft refuses to stand behind the company's ads.  I got
stung on the X-9 40 meter add-on fiasco.  I'll be adding a Force 12 40 meter 2
element yagi in the future.  I refuse to use buy additional products  from
Cushcraft, especially their compromise 40 meter rotatable dipole.    Too bad
companies don't understand the concepts of customer support.  I've probably
steered at least 3-4 people from the X-9 so far.    To answer your second
question, I wouldn't hesitate to put the X-9 up in that environment.  I have no
problems with it's construction.  It's very well built.

Good DXing.
Jim
WB6YAW