[TowerTalk] Weird choke "balun" failure

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:46:40 +-100

Tom,

When you refer to displacement current due to the weak
electric field, are you refering to the electric field
between the side of the doublet driven by the center conductor
of the coax and the beads which are in series with the shield?
To me this implies that there is a shunt component to the
bead current albeit perhaps small. As Bill mentioned, do you
think this would explain the non-uniform heating?

An interesting experiment would be to move the whole string
of beads down the feedline away from the feedpoint a couple
of feet and then remeasure the heat distribution. Presumably,
this would reduce the displacement current a little.

Mike, W4EF