[TowerTalk] Info to motorize my tower

JSheinb785@aol.com JSheinb785@aol.com
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:47:49 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/98 4:44:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Rmintz@frontiernet.net writes:

<< Rmintz@frontiernet.net  >>
I also have an HDX555 Tristao (US Towers now) with MDP750 motorization
purchased from Lou Tristao in 1981.  I asked him for stainless cable, but he
said he'd NEVER had a cable failure.  He mustn't have sold any on the
corrosive Gulf Coast of Texas, About 3 or 4 years ago I went out to raise the
tower (it had been lowered due to high winds) & when it got to the top the
cable broke & DOWN came the tower. It ruined the tower, & the 3 beams are
"inverted" beams.  When I called US Tower & told them what happened I got an
ARROGANT answer: : We won't sell you anything but the cable and it's $89.95.
No offer of any help  They said that you're supposed to change the cable
everey 3 or 4 years,  I replied that no instructions came with the tower to
that effect & they said "We still don't send any".
Can you imagine carrying on a business with such an attitude.
So, after all the above, I haven't replaced my tower even tho' I can't raise
it any more,
but the bent antennas still work in spite of broken off outer elements.  But
the motorized part is going to waste.  I'm reluctant to buy another US Tower
but don't know if others would fit on my base.  I'd advise you to put
stainless cable on your tower. Use the hand crank!
73,  Joe,  WD5FHG  Corpus Christi Texas