[TowerTalk] Tower Base and rebar

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:45:18 EDT

In a message dated 98-10-02 00:33:58 EDT, shock@together.net writes:

> I take about 8 small (8") pieces of rebar and drive them into the form/hole
>  so the there are two pieces per side. Then I sit the top of the cage on
>  them. It keeps the cage up.

     I think you're saying that you drive the 8 small pieces into the dirt to
support the rebar cage. I don't think you've had to have the building
department inspect it. You cannot have the rebar touch the earth. The problem
is that the rebar rusts and eventually the rusting migrates into the concrete.
Since the small pieces touch the rebar cage, then the rusting will keep going
into the concrete base. Over time the rebar will become useless, structurally
weakening the concrete base.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com