[TowerTalk] TH6 - Remove the Dimple?

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 23:36:51 EDT

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:07:47 -0400 (EDT) Mike Sims <nasfred@1bigred.com>
writes:

>Do you have a way of getting the aluminum capacitance cap off of the
>trap?
>The traps' aluminum capacitance caps have been peened(?) on either
>side of
>the plastic spacers in the trap.

K1VR:  There are two ways and neither of them is delicate nor elegant.
The dimples are the problem.

1.  You can just whack on the aluminum shell with a big screwdriver
driven by a hammer and force your way out of the dimple, or

2.  You can create, out of wood or metal, something to hold the plastic
in place while you move the aluminum shell, OR create, out of wood or
metal, something to hold the  shell inplace while you whack on the
plastic.

There is always a danger that you will break something.

You might ask WB0DGF of HyGain, who reads the TT reflector, if there is a
more elegant way.  One way that I've seen described, but never used, is
to drill out the dimple and remove the metal drilled out.  Use a very
sharp drill.  This may effectively eliminate the dimple and you could
create another one later. All of this is craftsmanship, of which I know
nothing. I have many friends who vouch for that latter statement.

				-- Fred K1VR

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]