[TowerTalk] Bentonite? (longish)

Peter J. F. Shaw k4ldr@sunco.com
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:49:06 -0400

Hey there Towertalkians:

The information regarding Bentonite is most interesting.  The part
about expanding rang-a-bell, big time.
The crew that drilled my 330 foot water well into the Florida sugar
sand poured several bags (about 25 lbs ea)of a material around the
well casing pipe when they were finished and buttoning it all up.  I
asked what it was and, though they didn't exactly remember the name
(one guessed kryptonite), they explained that the material expands
enormously to block any surface water leakage down the sides of the
casing pipe into the aquifer.  They also said that it also has the
purpose of stopping the fine surface sand from washing down into any
crevices caused by the drilling operation.

I'm gonna call my well driller tomorrow and verify the material name.
I'll bet it is Bentonite.  If that is true, then a well driller might
be a source.

73  Pete K4LDR  Citrus County FL on the Gulf of Mexico

Member of the Florida Contest Group (FCG) - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out
the FQP website@: http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm