[TowerTalk] AB-621/G

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:18:45 -0700

Shane NC4SA/KV4I wrote:

>         I have just purchased an AB-621/G military surplus antenna mast. It
> consists of 8 individual aluminum sections that all fit into a small
> portable cage for transporting. They are each about 7+- inches in diameter
> and have a thick wall. It is similar to a crankup in design in that you
> crank it up as you add each section of mast. It is approximately 50 ft or so
> when fully extended and is guyed at 3 different levels. What I need to know
> is how much windload was this mast designed to handle and at what wind
> speed. I know it wasn't intended for permanent installation and I wish to
> use it only as a temporary mast(tower) mtn topping in VHF+ contests. I don't
> want to overload it. Also was this mast designed to hold microwave dishes?
> Just curious as to what Uncle Sam used these for. Thanks de nc4sa

Shane,
I have one of these up in the back lot with a TH7 on it. It has 3 sets of guys,
and is the cutest little portable rig I've seen. Mine has handled 50 mph wind
with no problems. we'll see what happens this winter. I don't have a manual or
any rating info.
Have fun with it.

Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress