[TowerTalk] Tiller Details for Tramming Antennas

Selbrede, Bob W. Selbrede@aria.edwards.af.mil
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 13:20:56 -0700

Hello Folks,

I'm getting ready to remove, repair and reinstall my KLM 40M4 from it's
perch at 105' and wanted to take another look at better methods for antenna
control during the tramming process.  I've had the (mis)pleasure of having
done this job a time or two before and I always end up having difficulties
getting the antenna maneuvered into position on the way up.  In the past
I've used ropes over the ends of the boom for yaw control but I've had this
puppy flip over on me in the past due to a lack of roll control.  I've seen
some references to a "tiller" attached to the antenna boom and the tram line
to keep the attitude of the antenna correctly aligned on the trip up.  It
seems as though a tiller device might be just what I need to keep this thing
under control without the need for a bunch of tag lines and the people to
man them.

Has anyone taken the time to draw a sketch of the proper rigging arrangement
necessary to do this?  If not, I'll do so after I've gotten a better handle
on the utility of the "tram/tiller technique" for putting up large Yagis.
I've seen numerous references to antenna tramming on the reflector over the
last few years but I haven't found a good description of the complete
process yet.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Ideally, since I don't
have a lot of local hams to help out, I would like to turn this into a 2
person project.  I'll post a summary later.  Thanks!

73, Bob K6ZZ