[TowerTalk] Cushcraft X7 / X9 Hint

George Cutsogeorge w2vjn@rosenet.net
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 10:19:48 -0700

My X9 is 14 feet under a 40-2CD and I can offer some observations as well.
The vswr at 7.0 is 3:1.  It nulls to 1:1 at 7.8 MHz.  It has many nulls
between 7 and 14 MHz that go down to 1.2 or so.

As a receiving antenna, it works very well for WWV on 10 MHz and produces a
stronger signal than any of my other antennas.  On 7 MHz however, it is 7 or
8 S units below the 40-2CD and several S units below various wire antennas
for 80 and 160.

I would not want to try putting any RF into the X9 below 14 MHz.  It may
work OK, but I don't need that kind of repair job if something goes wrong.

When time permits, I'll do some testing to find out what the coupling is
between the 40 and the X9.

George
W2VJN