[TowerTalk] Re: Munimula masts, a serious question

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:47:42 EDT

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:50:49 EDT JSheinb785@aol.com writes:

>I've been using schedule 40 galvanized water pipe (1.93" OD) for 20
>years and
>have never had a failure. I've had over 10 ft. out the top of the
>tower (with
>a thrust bearing, of course) with a 2 meter 12 el  beam atop, a 1015
>Hygain
>duobander in the middle and a 20 mtr monobander 2 ft above the thrust
>brg.  So
>why the fuss over throwing away extra money on an Aluminum mast or a
>chrome-
>moly steel tube?
>73, Joe WD5FHG

K1VR:  You, my man, have been lucky. I once had to cut (with a hacksaw) a
bent Schedule 40 at the Harvard Wireless Club's station (W1AF) when I was
a graduate student and still fearless. It had a CL-33 at 2' above the
thrust bearing and a lightweight 2 el shorty 40 by Moseley at 10' above
the thrust bearing. And it wasn't like the mast was exposed to high winds
-- it was on a rooftop in the middle of downtown Cambridge, MA topping
out at only about 75', with taller buildings in several directions.  I
hope you are so lucky all the days of your life.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]