[TowerTalk] A question for the Pro's...

k2we@juno.com k2we@juno.com
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:11:43 +0700

I have a question for you pro's out there... Is there a better way to do
this???

I have a Tri-EX LM-470D 70' motorized crank up... I have a Tic-Ring 1022
ring rotor mounted on the top of the 3rd section. With the tower fully
extended (70') The ring rotor is at about 52'.. I have a Force 12 model
4BA mounted on the ring rotor... It's a 12 element yagi for 10/12 & 15/17
meters... It has 2 seperate feed lines..I use a remote coax switch which
is located at the top of the tower...The 2 feed lines go down from the
remote switch to the 4BA..
I have a 6' piece of mast running horizontial fastened to the tower just
below the thrust bearing... I use this to suspend the coax running down
to the 4BA on the ring rotor..Every once in a while, the coax gets caught
in the ring rotor. Of course, when I go to turn the ring rotor, I tear
the coax...

Question.... Is there a better way to run the coax down to the ring
rotor?? Should I relocate the remote coax switch down to the ring rotor
level??? What am I doing wrong???

By the way, I have a Force 12 Magnum 520/340 at the top of the tower...
It too has 2 feedlines...Is it better to run them down to the coax swich
or will I have the same problem???

I'd love to hear from any other Ring Rotor users where it's installed on
a  crank-up tower...How have you siolved the coax problem??? I've been
installing towers and antennas for 30 + years.. I'm just a bit puzzled...

By the way, I'm using an 18' piece of 1/2" wall, aluminum mast. I have 6'
below the bearing with the remaining 12' above the bearing...I was able
to purchase the mast from a local reynolds aluminum distributor on Long
Island for $85 .. I was amazed to find they come in lengths up to
36'!!!.. Before this installation, it held a 4 element mosley 2 meter
yagi on a 36' boom and a Cushcraft 2 element 40 meter beam.. It's held up
very well in the worst winds for almost 8 years...

I'd love to find out if there is a better way to route the coax to the
beam on the Ring Rotor.... I'd entertain a phone call at 914-693-3669
after 9PM EDST

Thanks in advance.....
73.. Steve/K2WE

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]