[TowerTalk] Re: Concrete an insulator???

Bill Hider, N3RR n3rr@erols.com
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:06:13 +0100

Ed,

Did you measure it with a device that generates 50,000 KV @ 30,000 Amps?

Com'on.  No one said concrete's a conductor at 12 V.

Concrete is a very good conductor (not as good as copper) to lightning and
static electricity. That's what we're talking about.  Don't you read the
literature about not being on a concrete floor and touching your equipment
during a lightning storm?  It's the lightning, not the DC voltage.

AND I never said to use this property of concrete as the sole means of
grounding a tower (as someone, not you Ed, said).  All I said when I
started this thread was you shouldn't insulate your tower base that is
embedded in the concrete because you will loose whatever conduction you
had through the concrete.  I, in fact, welded the joints between the legs,
horizontals, diagonals (which were bolted previously) together for that
part of the tower encased in the concrete.  That will help ensure equal
currents in each leg in the event of lightning.  It will also eliminate
any resistance in the joints.  50,000 Amps can cause a lot of voltage
across a little resistance inside the concrete.

wheeeww again.

Bill, N3RR