[TowerTalk] SB1000 BANDSWITCH

CQK8DO@aol.com CQK8DO@aol.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:14:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/98 1:36:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com writes:

<< Another is exciters that put out sharp envelope peaks or spikes. My ICOM
 706 whacks out almost 200 watts upon key closure (even if the drive is set
 for 30 watts or less), overdriving the PA and forcing the grid current way
 up.  >>

I have a 706 that I am currently installing for mobile use with an SGC-500
amp.. I have been aware of the problem with the leading spike on the 706, as
well as with other rigs, but have not been using an amp on it prior to this...
I wonder if using a ptt relay to bring up the amp and also pop a short burst
of alc into the 706 with that initial relay closure would solve that leading
edge spike...

Denny