[TowerTalk] Folded Monopole

w8ji.tom w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 08:05:47 -0400

Hi Larry,

> 	This antenna is being considered in preference to the inverted "L"
because it is much simplier for me
> to be able to hang all the antenna wire on my tower, than find another
support on my city lot to hold up the
> end of the inverted "L" type antenna.
> 	Any comments from anyone who has experimented with this type of antenna?
 Thanks

Any reasonably tall well constructed vertical works very well on 160, but
you need a fairly good ground system if you want top-notch performance.

I don't have the compendiums, but I do know that Bill Orr and a few others
(including one manufacturer) incorrectly claim the folded elements raise
radiation resistance and reduce ground requirements. That claim is, of
course, nonsense.

73, Tom