[TowerTalk] M2'd Orion 2800

Rich Hallman N7TR n7tr@rnodx.org
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 03:15:46 -0700

  Just finished an 8 hour day on top of the tower removing my 10 year old T2X and installing a new Orion 2800.

  Before installing the rotor, I wanted to verify the Rohn 25 Rotor mount had the right size holes and layout.....All was fine.    After removing the T2X and hosting up the #45 pound rotor I realized that the bolts were a different size!!!    Seems that Rohn had at least two styles of Rotor mounts.  The one I tested was an oblong hole and a 3/8 inch bolt just fit through OK....The one on the tower was drilled in 4 spots with a 1/2 inch hole.....Ran back down the tower grabbed the battery drill and drilled them out to 3/8 inch...No problem.

    After a whole lot of mods with a hax saw I was able to get the Orion 2800 mounted.  M2'd says the 2800 will only fit in the short top section of the Rohn 25, without mods.  Mine was mounted 10 feet down.  Cut at your own risk.....

    After installing the steel clamps I noticed that I ran out of threads on the bolts supplied with the rotor.  Manual says Min size mast is 1.75 Inches....Mine was 2.0 and it wouldn't snug up.....I installed a few extra washers and seems to be OK...Ill replace them with Grade 5 all thread next week.

    So far it looks REAL good....I need to replace the cable with heavier gauge wire, and that will be done tomorrow.   Seemed like the T2X would work with lighter gauge wire than the 2800....Even after the motor wires have been doubled up.

   Will take some time getting used to the digital readout...Sure miss the Analog pointer on the Hy-Gain control....

    See Ya!   Rich  N7TR

    Richard Hallman  N7TR            N7TR@RNODX.ORG
    11870 Heartpine St
    Reno NV  89506                   EX: KI3V, HL9RH
    702 677-1106                         A92FN, N3AMK