[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

Ken Hirschberg calav@flash.net
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 14:20:25 -0700

Hi Dan - you're on the right track- over rocky soil, the lightning energy is
best spread over a wide area.  I'm over rock that is covered with thin
topsoil. I use 2" wide copper strips, 2 from each tower leg, and each of these
6 tapes is 70 ft long; buried 6" deep.  There is an ad that runs in QST
selling the tape; it is 11 mils thick and 2" wide.
Get set for some work; I spend about 5-10 minutes per foot with pick and
shovel at this QTH.  The bright side is that you'll wind up with one VERY nice
ground, for shunt loading, etc. Vy 73, Ken,  K6HPX