[TowerTalk] 105BA VS. 105CA 10 Meter Antenna

Matt--K7BG aa7bg@3rivers.net
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:25:23 -0600

At 09:17 AM 10-19-98 EDT, MBecker@aol.com wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>     I just downloaded the dimensions to convert my 105BA beam into the 105CA
>and noticed that some of the new dimensions are much different from the
105BA.
>Does anyone have any experience with this and is it worth doing?  Thanks.

Hi Mike, I did this a while back. I still havent put the converted antenna
on the tower so I can't give you first hand info on performance, but I
believe I read where it improves forward gain from around 9.7 to 10.4 or
some similar differential and also it provides for a broader 2:1 SWR range.

>From a mechanical standpoint I noticed that the director just in front of
the driven element in the stock BAS has a 55" end piece of aluminum tubing.
The CA has a 58" endpiece. I tuned mine for CW and this leaves only about
1.5" of overlap at this tubing joint. The 58" piece would be nice, but I
think I'll be okay.

Also, the beam gets heavy at the reflector end. Maybe if/when I put a
non-conducting compensating element at the other end it will balance the
weight okay.

73,
Matt--K7BG