[TowerTalk] Re: Achieving Antenna Weight Balance

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 07:42:41 -0700

Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

> >"Maybe if/when I put a non-conducting compensating element at the other end
> >it will balance the weight okay."
>
> I have found that the convenient fact of plumbing being sized for ID versus
> booms being sized by OD allows you to use common PVC over the boom as a
> near-non wind loading balancing aide.
>
> By slipping a length over the boom near the light end you can slide it til
> you get your mechanical balance and at the point put a sheet metal screw
> through the PVC into the boom - voila.......and no electrical variations
> either!
>
> Oh yeah, its cheap, too!

Here is another idea to get an antenna balanced.

Place a piece of steel inside the light end of the boom and fasten with a bolt
.
This way the counterweight will not upset the boom's area distribution,
creating torque in the wind.
The best type of section to use is the heaviest one. Solid bar is better than
tubing. Using the heavy section allows one to get more weight closer to the
boom end, resulting in the least overall weight gain.
Corrosion prevention can be made with that good old Rustoleum red primer.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress