[TowerTalk] KLM KT34-XA Refurbishing

Marc on4ma@village.uunet.be
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:22:15 +0300

At 09:28 AM 10/21/98 , K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>>In a message dated 98-10-21 09:06:08 EDT, WBH3@chrysler.com writes:
>>
>>> Right now, I am using something called "OX-GARD by GB" which I got at Home
>>>  Depot to coat the fittings where the antenna elements connect together at
>>>  the boom.  I don"t know or have a feel whether it is necessary to do a
>>>  complete disassembly and re-coat all the places the assembly manual  says
>>>  to put the originally supplied copper paste.   My feelings right now are to
>>>  finish the assembly and then stand it on the director end and attach the
>>>  coax and see how it plays.
>>
>>     Sounds reasonable. Personally I'd rather spend the money on a new one
>>than try to refurb one - WAY too may connections, WAY too much work IMO. Re-
>>assemble it and see if it works like it did. If it does, put it up and have
>>fun.
>

>I recently went through a rebuild of two KT-34XAs.  Yes, there are
>a TON of connections that need to be cleaned.
>
>But I'm a ham.  I enjoy doing work and not spending money.
>
>I bought a pair of XA's for $450 total.  I also spent $92 in replacement
>parts, for a new total of $542.  A pair of new antennas would have run
>me $1582 for a difference of $1040.
>
>I timed myself as to how long it took me to refurb the antenna.  Each
>triband element took 2 hours, times 5 elements, times 2 antennas = 20 hours.
>Add in a couple more hours for final assembly and tuning = 24 hours.
>
>$1040 saved divided by 24 hours = $43.33/hr
>
>I'm sorry, but I don't make $43/hr.  It would have been worth taking
>3 days off of work...I would have still "saved" $500 even after the
>lost wages!!!
>
>---
>Chad Kurszewski                 email: Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com

Just rebuild or cleaned my kt34xa up 3 years.Guy's ,don't use the copperpaste
delivered by klm.I had to use a metal brush to clean the contacts in the linear
I use "NEVER SEEZ" for a couple of years on other antennes (COP,ALU,PETROL).

It's up again and my swr curve is again like in the manual.

73/dx

See you all in the cqww this weekend.

on4ma Marc