[TowerTalk] US Towers and shipping

Ken Anderson k6db@volcano.net
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 10:00:07 -0700

I just unloaded my new tower yesterday.  The following might be useful to others:

When US Towers calls with your PRO number, get the shipment weight and
number of pieces information.  And if possible the trailer number.

I found Roadway's web site more helpful than the 1-800-ROADWAY phone.
Roadway's web site is : http://www.roadway.com/
Click on Tracking and with PRO number and ZIP you can get status of your delivery.
Look for the Service Center that is actually scheduled to deliver your tower and
note the 3 digit Center number.  Click on Finding a Service Center to locate the
phone number/fax number for that center.  This should get you to an actual
person and not a voice machine.  Make contact as early as possible so they
have your phone number and actual location for delivery.  If they plan to use
a local delivery company, as in my case, get the name, phone number and
a contact point.  Again, make contact as early as possible so they have your
phone number and delivery address.  Ask the company to confirm that the
item(s) loaded are actually addressed to you.  Check that the weight is what
US Towers said they shipped.  My local delivery company arrived with two towers
for delivery to me.  One clearly marked by US Towers as mine and one marked for delivery in another state.  This explained why their delivery weight was shown
as nearly 1000 lb. more than US Towers ship weight.

I highly recommend that you follow US Towers instructions for inspection while
the items are still on the truck.  Document any damage or missing items on the
freight bill before signing.  And, never let someone sign for the freight unless they
know what it is suppose to look like.  My Freight Bill says "2 pcs Amateur
Radio Tower".  Nothing else.

My tower arrived in a 28 foot covered trailer.  This is fairly normal.  So
remember to have equipment to pull the tower out as it can't be unloaded
from the side.

It has been my experience that freight companies never give more than a
few hours of notice for deliveries.  Call first, don't wait for them to call.

I'm 200 miles from US Towers facility.  My delivery took 10 days from the
date of pickup.  The delivery was 3 days later than the first Roadway stated
delivery date.  I have no idea if this is normal, just a statement of fact.

Ken, K6DB
k6db@volcano.net