[TowerTalk] MFJ 259 accuracy??

force12@interserv.com force12@interserv.com
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:27:25 -0800 (PST)

Good morning.

A common problem with all of these meters is their sensivity to RF from other
sources. The most common are AM and FM broadcast. If there is a broadcast within
several miles, the meters often will never show a "resonance." This is because
the meter is not only receiving its own signal, but the additional RF as well.
By design, the front ends are broadbanded. Sometimes, the addition of a bandpass
filter between the coax and meter will help. It is impressive that the 15 mtr
signal did not bother the measurements, as well.

This is such a common occurance that I get calls every week that a particular
antenna doesn't "tune right" when using one of these meters due to near-by
broadcast station(s). I use the 3 most popular and they all do it. It surely
would be refreshing if the instructions included a caution about it.

Have a great day & 73,
                Tom Schiller, N6BT
		President, Force 12, Inc.
			Amateur Antennas, Commercial Towers & Antennas
		P.O. Box 1349 Paso Robles, CA  93447
		Phone: 805.227.1680   FAX 805.227.1684
		Web Site: http://www.QTH.com/force12