[TowerTalk] RE: XYL must approve antenna's...

Kurt Andress ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 18:39:36 -0700

It's refreshing to see that there are some reliable constants in life!
It wouldn't matter if the hobby was racing (been there), or fishing
(tried to be there), or whatever the heck it is.

My unintended strategy has been to collect towers and antennas for the
past 10-15 years, and move them along with the the rest of the "really
important stuff." Lots of stuff happens along the way to change the
original plan!

Now, my wife is starting to press me on getting the junk out of the
backyard and up in the air! I really work hard at keeping the pile(s)
tidy! Can any reasonable wife view 350' of tower and more antennas than
the towers can hold, as tidy?
There will certainly be a patio extension that goes along with the
footings and anchors. I planned it that way, because it makes sense! She
can't wait!

Dick Green's comments about the primary source of conflict being the
division of time between the hobby and the family, are, I think mostly
universal. Over here, it's not so much about the where the money goes,
life seems to decide that problem, it's about where the time goes.
That's why, years ago, I decided to not try to avidly pursue DX. It
requires constant regular time in the shack. I chose contesting, where we
can plan on me disappearing for the scheduled weekends. Everybody is
happy and  I get a bigger kick out of the contests anyway.
When I get old enough, might already be there, chasing the DX will make
more sense. She will be trying to find something for me to do to get me
out of her way, she agrees.
If I miss a few countries because I was having fun with my best friends,
that's ok too!

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress